Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Seriously???

So apparently when Sam gets sick, he means business.  Last week he had a cold.  An annoying, snotty, sneezy, cold.  He finally starts to get over said cold and move through life as usual.  Well, both Saturday and Sunday evenings, Sam became increasingly irritable as the day would go on.  I used my mommy checklists - hunger, diaper, sleep, boredom...  He was not easily satisfied.  I didn't think much of it...  Then I pick him up at Grandpa's on Monday evening.  He was a BEAR despite having had a great nap and a great morning.  So I chalk it up to separation anxiety (we've had this issue developing now that we've started daycare) and head home.  At bedtime, I'm passing him off to daddy for the toothbrushing, book aspect of our routine and think to myself, "self, this boy seems hot".  Sure enough, he had a 102 degree temp.  Eh, Tylenol and bed should fix it, no problem...

So yesterday, Sam wakes up with a 103 degree fever.  Darn!  No daycare, work schedule shuffle, etc.  It was our indoctrination to this new phenomenon.  I HAD to work so Dave got to stay home and then Grandpa came to pinch hit until I got home...  My poor dude was SO miserable.  He even fell asleep on my chest in the afternoon.  It was so hard to get the fever down... But other than no appetite, I couldn't figure out what was wrong.  He had no other symptoms.  So, we went to bed last night hoping the fever would break and we would carry on.

Fast forward to this morning.  Sam has found her way into our bed around 2:30 and was sleeping great.  Then I wake up at 6 from a deep sleep to him spewing bile in my face.  YUMMY.  Fortunately that was an isolated incident.  However, the temperature was 104!  So we got to go to his pediatrician this morning.  Our visit started with a benign assessment.  Then we got to go to the lab for a CBC and blood culture.  After that, we had to kill some time waiting for the blood results so we hit up the amazing (note sarcasm here) cafeteria since I managed not to have breakfast.  The blood results came back a little off so his pedi decided to give him an antibiotic shot, except it was two shots because the dose was too large to give in one shot.  She also needed to catheterize him for a urine culture.  He wasn't so fond of that.  On top of it all, she ordered x-rays based on his history of a cold/cough and the vomiting of bile this morning.  Wow.  We did a lot of stuff in three hours.  He passed out after all of that!

The good news-so far, everything is negative.  The blood culture results won't be available until tomorrow.  His x-rays looked fine.  His urine is good so far, too.  That's a relief, for sure.  On top of that, after another bout with high fever this afternoon, he seems to be much better.  Hopefully, the antibiotic did its job and the worst is over.  That would be good.  This fever business has been no fun.  He's been so cuddly and pathetic.  Its sad!

I've come to the conclusion that when Sam gets sick, he means business.  There's no in between with this kid!

No comments: